Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade From Abroad

I know this probably won’t concern most of my normal readers, but I felt it had to be done in the name of all that is turkey day.

Honestly, I must have Googled the above phrase a hundred times in the last seven years and every year, the best I could find was a blurry version of the parade filmed from New York City’s livecam on the Thanksgiving website.  No up close and personal musical numbers.  No detailed shots of the air balloons or the decorated ‘floats’.  No sound, music, or offhanded corny commentary.  It was almost not even worth watching…

But last year I finally figured out how to watch the parade from my home in France- live on a mainstream American channel, and on my large screen tv- commercials and all!  It really felt for those few hours like I was back home again :)

And since now I have a way to throw it out there into the universe for you other expats, I’m posting it here.

To watch the Parade on your computer:

Go to www.watchfomny.com.  The parade usually begins at around 9am Eastern U.S. time so you’ll have to adapt your time difference.  For instance, I’ll be watching the parade at 3:00pm European time.

Click on the American flag.  A multitude of live streaming American channels will come up and you’ll have to test a few in order to find one that works best but I usually go with Fox or NBC.  Click on the full screen setting.

To watch on your television you will need:  a laptop or a computer close enough to the television set to plug in a HDMI cable.  This cable will transfer the image to your television.  If you have speakers you can either listen through the computer speakers or hook your computer up to a home surround sound system connected through the television.

That’s all there is to it folks!  I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

*CQG*

17 comments:

Old Kitty said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU!!! I hope you and your family enjoy watching the parade!! Take care
x

Jamie Gibbs said...

Awesome, thanks :) I know a few expats who'll appreciate the link!

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm glad you found something. When I heard you hadn't been successful, i was set to go in search of a channel that streamed live -- knew it had to be out there somewhere!

Joanna St. James said...

oh nice! thanx babe will watch it altho the boys might have to be at work (where is tivo when you need it?)

Chelsea Barrett said...

Thank you so much! I googled this because I too live in France, and I found your blog! However, do you know if there's anyway I can view it AFTER it's already aired? I'm working until 7 pm so if there's a place we can download the video, or if there's a way I can have somebody record it on my computer that would be great!

Tracy said...

Wow, if it doesn't start til 3pm over there, that means you won't get to see Santa until dinner time. That's a long wait.

I'm glad you get to watch it though, I guess some of us still living in the States take it for granted.

Melissa Gill said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm so glad you found a way to watch the parade. It's great to be able to keep those traditions and have all the benefits of living abroad.

Colene Murphy said...

How neat! I had no idea it was so hard to find! Glad you'll be able to see it this year! Has the hubs seen it before?

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss katie! hoooray for being able to see the parade!! im real happy you could do it. now we could be doing something together right at the same time.:)
...hugs from lenny

Nicole L Rivera said...

Happy Thanksgiving. The parade is one of the coolest parts of Thanksgiving. Glad you'll be able to enjoy it :)

LTM said...

oh, you sound a little homesick... :o\ Happy Thanksgiving! Woo! Macy's T'day parade~ Have a great one~ :o)

Matthew MacNish said...

You're a Tech Wizard Katie! Way to go!

Carolyn Abiad said...

Lol...I'm over here trying to get TV from over there for DH! I heard something about a slingbox, but I don't know how well that works.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you enjoy watching the parade. :)

Clara said...

That's so cool!! I wish I had a show here to take me back home, but there's nothing =(
Happy thanksgiving Kd!!! =D

Creepy Query Girl said...

Hi Chelsea- the only way I can think of would be to try youtube a few hours after its aired. Sometimes people will have already put up the recoreded parade. Good luck!

rashid1891 said...

That’s all there is to it folks! I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...