Monday, February 28, 2011

A Book That Rocked My World

I don’t do book reviews very often.  It’s not that I don’t like/love most of the books I read, but more often than not, I find the majority of my to-be-ordered/read list from reviews I've found through the blogosphere.  Plus, I am  an incorrigible ‘mood reader’-  I go looking for books I’m in the mood for, whether its YA, Romance, Historical, Paranormal, etc…I read a little bit of everything but one thing that really seals the deal on if I order a book or not is the reviews.

This week I read my first book by Kristan Higgans entitled ‘Just One of the Guys’ and after finishing, I not only went and gave it five stars on Goodreads but I also did a quick review (which I never do).  I couldn’t help it!  The book totally rocked my world. 

Back cover description :  So when journalist Chastity O’Neill returns to her hometown, she decides it’s time to start working on some of those feminine wiles.  Two tiny problems : #1—she’s five feet eleven inches of rock-solic girl power, and #2—she’s cursed with four alpha male older brothers.
While doing a story on local heroes, she meets a hunky doctor and things start to look up.  Now there’s only one problem :  Trevor Meade, her first love and the one man she’s never quite gotten over—although he seems to have gotten over her just fine.
Yet, the more time she spends with Dr. Perfect, the better Trevor looks.  But even with the in-your-face competitions, the irresistible Trevor just can’t seem to see Chastity as anything more than just one of the guys…

Well, the back cover description pretty much blows chowder compared to what this little beauty actually holds.

What I love about Higgan’s characters is that they are all flawed in some way but she was very clever in choosing flaws that would help advance the plot.  In the very first scene Charity chokes on a hors d’œuvre and struggles to give herself the heimlich all while her boyfriend of three weeks  (who doesn’t notice her dilema) tries to ‘put her down’ gently.  I knew from the first page that this wasn’t going to be a normal chick lit/contemporary romance. 

Not only are the situations themselves funny as hell, but the way the main character explains and shares her thoughts is right on the money.  –and I’m not talking about that faint pleasant smile and head bob I usually get while reading witty dialogue or even a mild-mannered ‘snort’ here and there when something silly happens.  I’m talking about having to put the book down and laugh for a good minute, replaying the episode in my head while my husband looks at me like I’ve finally lost it.   --From being chased down by her female dog in heat during a first date to realising she’s been chatting with her BROTHER on eharmony.com, we laugh and cry by Chastity’s side as she struggles to find her way through the dating pool towards Mr. Right. This was just too good not to share !

I hope ya’ll have a great Monday !

*CQG*


26 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the cover and love that it rocked your socks off! Right there is reason enough to stick it on my goodreads listing and order immediately!!! Thanks for the awesome review! I hope my book rocks your world and you feel the need to do the same!

Laura Pauling said...

That sounds like a great book! I love funny but moving books. Thanks. I'll check it out.

Gina Ciocca said...

If you were compelled to review, it must be good!

I have to laugh at chatting with her brother on e-harmony. My husband and I both come from off-the-boat Italian families and all our relatives seem to know one another. We always joke that we're probably related somehow!

Melissa said...

This basically sounds amazing. I need this book. *runs off to amazon to buy a copy*

Anne Gallagher said...

Chatting on eharomony! I will def have to read this. Thanks for the heads up.

Summer Frey said...

Sounds great! The last book that made me have to put it down to laugh was one of Jen Lancaster's sort-of memoirs: Such a Pretty Fat.

I'll check this one out--thanks for the recommendation!

Angela said...

Kristan Higgins rocks. I've read ALL her books. She's coming out with a new one in a few months. One of the best things about her stories how each character talks differently. She does an amazing job with characterization and developing all those different personalities. Loved this one!

Stina said...

It sounds like a great book. Not quite my usual read (too old or not enough danger for my two fav genres), but I might just pick it up. :D

Matthew MacNish said...

I don't often read romance, but you make this sound hilarious!

Sherrie Petersen said...

I love an honest review when someone really loves a book. Now I'll have to check this one out :)

Natalie Decker said...

when you said she finds out she's been chatting with her brother on Eharmony that right there made me laugh so hard and I could just picture it in my head. Wow. I need to read this.

Laura S. said...

Thanks for the suggestion! This sounds like a fun read and I'll add it to my to-read list. :)

Dawn Ius said...

Ooooh! Adding to the TBR pile. Thanks for sharing. xo

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I'm convinced! Great review, katie. :-)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

This sounds awesome!! And the cover...I love that dog!!

Stephanie Faris said...

It's been a while since I've read a grown-up book. I'm going to have to give this one a try. Love the cover!

Old Kitty said...

There I was thinking it was about a cute doggy!!! LOL!!!!

Awwww what an enthusiastic and irresistable review!! Thank you!!!

Take care
x

Kelly Polark said...

I think the cover is misleading! (is it?) But sounds like a cute story about a tall girl. I'm tall but my sister is 5'11". She's still looking for Mr. Right; I know she'll find him!

Colene Murphy said...

Sounds awesome! Never heard of it, but you made it sound fantastic!

Julie Musil said...

eharmony with her brother? OMG how embarrassing! That is brilliant. This book sounds like a lot of fun.

Carolyn V said...

It sounds so great! I'm adding to the list! It must be good if you don't put books on often (I do the same thing). Thanks Katie!

Diana said...

Sounds like a great read and the crap that would happen to me.

Susan Fields said...

I love a book that makes me laugh that hard! Thanks for the review.

WritingNut said...

Ooh, it sounds great.. I'll have to check this one out! :)

Nicole McLaughlin said...

I love nothing more than a book suggestion! :)

LTM said...

omg, fantastic! I must check this out... !

currently reading Sarah's Key for book club. Have you read it? I can't decide, but the author seems very anti-France. There's a word for that that escapes me. Anywhoo--adding this one to the list~ :o) <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...