Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Living in a Musical

First, I want to thank you all for your kind words and advice on last week’s babyblues post. I’m happy to report the postpartum blahs have high-tailed it back to the swampy recesses from which they came (for the time being).

A few things that helped: First off all, the sun finally decided to make its grand debut after six straight months of rain.

Secondly, I was able to get out of the house and run twice this week. I’ll be honest. I’m not good at running. I actually really suck at it (think Phoebe from ‘friends’- I can never seem to get my limbs to work together like they’re supposed to and tend to look like a flailing crazy person the whole time) but the fresh air and time alone, plus the exercise did me a world of good.

And last, and most surprisingly, there’s songwriting.

Yes, I, creepy query girl, have been writing songs. But not the kind of songs where I sit around with a pad of paper and an acoustic guitar, humming lovely little notes and tuning here and there, like those glorious folky singers do in the movies.

My songs are more like an in-promptu soundtrack to my life.

There’s the baby’s bath time song entitled ‘If you keep squirming, you will slip and drown you soapy, squirmy little thing’.

And the spilled milk song. I think the person who invented the ‘don’t cry over spilled milk’ expression could have found a much better analogy.

Spilled milk is a serious pain in the ass, especially when you have children who seem to like to spill it once a week or especially like to let it soak into the kitchen chair cushions before, you know, telling their mother. Milk also makes everything sticky and will start to smell like old cheese if left unattended.  So no, I don’t cry when milk is spilled. But I do go just a little ballistic and start freaking the f#&k out. Thus I decided spilled milk deserves an angry, profanity-strewn black metal song a la iron maiden.

And then there’s my personal favorite, a pop-rock ode to breastfeeding entitled ‘One of these boobs is not like the other’.

It’s a real crowd-pleaser.


If you were writing a song, right now at this moment, what would it be called?

20 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I definitely don't write songs, but yours sound so cute. So glad you're feeling better.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I want to hear the metal milk song!
Mine would be 'I wish I got paid to sleep.'

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm pretty sure human beings are the only species that drink the milk of another species. Oh wait, cats.

Angela Brown said...

Your songs rock some banging reality :-)

Glad things are a bit more sunny. Fresh air is great to rid one of cabin fever symptoms.

And the squirmy baby song? Priceless :-)

LTM said...

Katie... LOLOL!!! Omg--NOW I know where all the scary "childrens" songs came from. Like Rockaby Baby, which talks about falling out of trees... and others like that. :D

I am SO with you on all of this, from the too little sunshine to the spilled milk, to the boobs... :D Haha! Good stuff. Glad you're feeling better. Hang in there, friend~ <3

mshatch said...

I am not musical but my sister is, and she used to make up all kinds of songs like that for my son when he was little. One went like this: "if you stop that crying sound, we'll do a little dancing around..." So I totally understand your impromptu daily musicals :)

Carl said...

I think mine would be titled "Why oh why won't housework just stay done?"

I like Alex's song, too. A Grammy-winner for sure.

Connie Keller said...

Thanks so much for sharing! My husband taught me this stress-reducing technique--it's his favorite. So when I've had a bad day and he gets home from work, I sing "If I could lose my mind, love, this would all be your problem..." a la Gordon Lightfoot.

shelly said...

LOL!

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

prerna pickett said...

Glad you're doing better! I find myself singing random stuff about things going on at the moment. My husband and I always talk about how much more fun life would be if it were a musical. Either that or we would never get anything done because we're all too busy breaking into a song and dance.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

My right now song is: "I don't wanna do report cards; I hate them so-o mu-uch. The stupid little drop-down menu never works at a-a-ll, and the font size makes my eyes water... "

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I have no sense of rhythm and I better stick to novels.

DL Hammons said...

a pop-rock ode to breastfeeding entitled ‘One of these boobs is not like the other’.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! :)

jaybird said...

LOL! The lyrics of the breast feeding song ring so true!

Glad to hear the baby blues have lifted. Running. Um, yeah, I only run when someone is chasing me. I am not big on it. But whatever exercise you can do to help you out of that bad spot you are in, is fabulous is my book.

Keep on writing those song lyrics!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Im-prompto sound track sounds awesome!!! Write it; I want to hear it...or maybe just read the lyrics. *scrunches up nose and squints eyes*

Melodie Wright said...

Mine would be: I don't want to let you go-oh-oooohh
bc I have a 17 y/o son who's behaving as if he's out the door already.
*sob*

Anne Gallagher said...

My song * I've been up since 4 am and I hate my cat *

Stina said...

I remember the 'spilled milk on my couch' days. I don't care what the companies claim, their spill proof sippy cups are NOT spill proof.

My favorite song from the breastfeeding days was: "How far can my letdown squirt, every time you move your head." It's amazing the shooting range we can get. :D

Talli Roland said...

This made me laugh, because I'm the same. I have a song for everything these days, mostly because - inexplicably - Lobster Baby seems to like the sound of my singing. Poor guy.

Meredith said...

Hey fellow Blog Blitzer! Love your blog title lol! Right now my song would go something like "I said STOP, my kids are still up now listen, I can't go to sleep so I'm on a mission, drinking coffee all day and night, yo it ain't right" to the tune of Ice Ice Baby. (Sorry, just found out he lives near by now I can't get the darn song out of my head. :)

StaceyW said...

Your blog makes me smile. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...