Thursday, April 12, 2012

K - Killing Me Softly

No matter what version we’re talking about (yes, I was first introduced to it by the Fugees and memorized the words like any other 14-year-old of the time.) - I love this song. You all know it. The lyrics are about a woman going to see a concert and she ends up relating to the musician's words and music on a really deep, emotional level.

Haven’t we all been there?  Been surprised by a song that throws us off our game?

Now, some people put all their favorite songs on an ipod and listen to them while walking/running/taking the bus/at school/at work/going to the bathroom – (and let’s be honest. Sometimes you’re listening to a song and feeling like you have a soundtrack to your life. Who hasn’t discreetly listened to ‘stayin alive’ while walking down the street and strutted around like John Travolta in tight pants. No one?  Guess it's just me then.)

But the best is when a song comes on that makes you feel when you least expect it.  It might be a song you’ve heard a hundred times, but it just happens to pop up on the radio in your car or while you’re out shopping and for some cosmic reason – it speaks to you in that moment and makes you feel things you weren’t feeling seconds before.

There are certain artists who manage to do this to me repeatedly. Like Adele. Oh Adele!  Her music doesn’t always touch me.  I mean, once you’ve heard her hits a million times, they tend to lose flavor. But the first time I heard each of her songs, I couldn’t help but get swept away.

What was the last song that changed your mood unexpectedly?

For me it was Gotye’s Somebody That I Used to Know. It’s relatively new (actually, I just saw it was used on GLEE tuesday so it must be getting good coverage) and I didn’t recognize the offbeat, somewhat sexy rhythm. The singer’s voice is clear and emotion-filled and the chorus has an old school POLICE-type feel to it. It immediately put me in this relaxed, almost feline mood the first time I heard it on the radio.


23 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Songs hit me like that too. It's a shame when I loved a song, but can no longer listen to it because it's played all. the. time. That's happened to me with a lot of grunge from the early 90s.

Somebody that I Used to Know. I'd like that song better if the guy's voice wasn't so grating when he does the chorus.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Oh I love Adele. I learned about her through my daughter. I'm glad the radio plays her songs a lot.

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh snap. The Score was the soundtrack of my life in the summer of 95. You got me noddin' my head right now.

farawayeyes said...

"Out of the Blue" by The Band

Old Kitty said...

Fugees!??! Roberta Flack for me! Yay!

I'm still totally enthralled by Enya's Only Time. I didn't like it the first time round but this time - I don't know - makes me cry every time I hear it! Guess it's age! LOL!

Take care
x

Kimberlee Turley said...

I have an secret code with my brother. Whenever we're in a situation we don't want to be in, we start humming the intro for "Rescue Me."

My pick-me-up theme song is "Wasted" my Carrie Underwood. I don't usually listen to country, but listening to it always motivates me to get through a hard time.

Connie Keller said...

I loved "Killing Me Softly." A song that always brings me to tears is "At Seventeen" by Janis Ian.

Nicole McLaughlin said...

Loved that song when it came out! There is a group that does an awesome cover it on youtube with one guitar. (They all play it.)

Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRx1Tqcv2uU&feature=related


My "song" right now is Cripple Me by Elenowen. Love it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mFtnyjJng

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I am like Kitty -- it is Roberta Flack version for me. BORN by OVER THE RHINE is a song that speaks to me. Lovely post, Roland

VonLCid said...

Yeah, the first time I heard that song was on the link Nicole provided. I loved it. Now it's on the radio every half hour.

For me the last song that altered my mood was Neutral Milk Hotel's Two Headed Boy Pt. 2

I hadn't heard it in 8 years. It came on when I had my iPod on shuffle. I sobbed uncontrollably. Ironically it was a comforting sadness.

Von L
The Growing Writer

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Music has such power, doesn't it? Many songs take me back to years ago... The best though are those that are associated with some strong emotion I was feeling at the time.

Tonja said...

The Fugees did a good job with it, but I fell in love with the older version. Great song.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

So I think we are almost like best friends because I LOVED Killing Me Softly, Adele is a major inspiration in my writing, and I'm thoroughly addicted to Gotye right now.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

"Show" by Lenka is the most recent for me. It's in the movie, MONEYBALL, sung by the daughter--so sweet! I love it. :)

Kristi said...

I recently saw the Gym Class Heroes perform that song "Stereo Hearts" with Adam Levine on some awards show. And it totally HIT me in that moment.

I literally bought it the next day on Itunes and it's been a frequent Ipod repeat ever since.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pantera energized me this morning!

jaybird said...

I also posted this Gotye song recently, cause I LOVE it. (Especially KIMBRA's lyrics)I thought they did a pretty good cover of it on Glee.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love that song! So heartfelt! Songs do sweep me away often as well. KD Lang's version of Hallelujah at the Olympics was one that did.

Anonymous said...

What a great post....are you sure you haven't been in my mind??!! The Gotye song was a Police deja vu experience for me. And Adele has the ability to change the way I feel for the rest of the day. I cried hopelessly when Roberta Flack sang Killing Me Softly at her concert in Melbourne in 1977 - that experience is imprinted on my brain for all the right reasons. Have a great A-Z month. Jeff.

Slamdunk said...

Good choice CQG--a friend had me listen to that one the other day.

I listened to an old Disney tune from the movie Dumbo called "Baby Mine." I have heard before, but now as a parent, I can see how the songimpacts others so greatly.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I had to laugh because I heard Stayin' Alive on the radio in the car this morning and I was ROCKING OUT. It was a beautiful spring morning and I was thrilled to groove along with it. Yep, love life soundtracks. I don't listen to music constantly, but I'm usually singing something or other. My kids can attest to that. :)

blissflower1969 said...

Breathe (2 am) almost always moves me to tears when I hear it. But a lot of music can do that to me as well. It never ceases to amaze me how much music can move my emotions.

Great post. Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I've taken a break from Adele. I adore her, but I want to continue to adore her, so I'm not listening to her music for awhile so that I don't get sick of it.

And I absolutely LOVE this song "Somebody That I Used to Know." It's one that pretty much everyone can relate to, and it's a great sound.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...