Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Currently Glued to WriteOnCon

Can I just say this is the BEST way of giving to the aspiring writer’s community I think I’ve ever seen?  There’s such a wealth of information.  

I’ve never been to a real writer’s conference.  There are very few where I live (in the Paris suburbs, France).  And the ones that do happen…aren’t in English.  There’s only been one or two for English writers here and it costs about three times what you’d pay in the U.S.

So when I found out about the free online conference, I jumped at the chance.   Just like with a regular conference, you can pick and choose which activities to go to and take part in depending on where you are as a writer.  I personally find myself reading just about EVERYTHING.  The video blogs are especially awesome.  Feels like you’re really there. 
Because I live in France, I have to catch up on late night activities in the morning when I wake up.  

For today, I’m lurking around the WIP Critique boards where I posted my first five pages of my current WIP ‘Fossegrim’

Ok, enough ranting.  Just wanted to let you guys know where I’m at (although many of you are probably hanging around the writeoncon website right along with me;)

Question-  How can we ever thank these agents, editors, and authors who put the conference together enough?  Besides writing better books for them to work with??;)

17 comments:

Ted Cross said...

It really does sound great, and I thank all those involved. I wish I had the time to check out more of it. I have only watched a couple of VLOGs. I guess part of me is hesitant because I write strictly adult books, while this is ostensibly for a younger audience.

Susan Fields said...

I love that everything stays posted so if you can't get to it right then you can come back and catch it later.

Old Kitty said...

I love how Ms Messenger has put up blog posts of the conference talks on her blog - really helpful and very handy!

I guess a box of (virtual but oh so classy) choccies for these fab people won't go amiss?? :-)

Take care
x

Laura Pauling said...

WRiteoncon has been great! I'll have to go check out your story!

RosieC said...

It's fantastic, isn't it? I love it, too. I'll be posting the first 5 pages of my WiP THE MONARCH'S LIES later today. I love the idea of the critique exchange.

Apparently I can't come up with better verbs than Love. Not looking good for my writing abilities, huh? ;)

Matthew MacNish said...

It's AMAZING. I LOVE it x3. Now I'm going to look for your stuff on there. Are you on as Katie or CQG?

Summer Ross said...

I still haven't been able to even get into the site.

Ricky Bush said...

Sounds pretty good. I've never been to a 'live' conference before, so I guess I'll have to check it out. Thanks Creepy.

Carolyn V. said...

Woo hoo! I'm signed up for the writeoncon. I'm so excited. =) Have a great time!

Alexandra said...

I'd love to write a book to thank them...do people have to want to read it, though (-:

Unknown said...

They are seriously awesome! I wish we could do a big blogger hug, or blogger appreciation of some sort, a day to thank them all. I just don't know if that would be big enough. I'm with you though, I'll work on writing a better book!!

I'm with Susan, so happy that they keep all the goodness up because working all day doesn't allow me to see tons of good stuff throughout the day! Thank goodness for the site open for a long time :)

Raquel Byrnes said...

I writer contemporary romance, so I wasn't going to attend, but I took a peek and was amazed. I've learned so much about revising and creating memorable charcters...lots of stuff helpful no matter what your genre.

Go WriteOnCon!

RosieC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

I'm catching up on WriteOnCon at night too because I'm in bartending school all day this week. Sucks, I know, but the posts and everything is so good that even though I can't make the live chats... I'm still learning so much.

Anonymous said...

WriteOnCon has been wonderful! Since I don't write kidlit, I haven't been participating too much, but there's such a wealth of information there for writers of all kinds to peruse.

Lisa Gail Green said...

We should send them all CHOCOLATE. On the other hand, I'll probably eat it all before it gets to the post office...

April Plummer said...

I'm on there too, though I don't write YA. I love it! I've never been to a conference either, and this is all so overwhelming! I don't know if I'll ever read it all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...